Oldest parish church turns 200

Lieutenant Governor Elizabeth Dowdeswell and Rev. Canon Drew MacDonald, incumbent of St. John, York Mills, view the church’s founding gift from Francis Gore, the third Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, given in 1816.

The clergy and laity of St. John, York Mills welcomed Lieutenant Governor Elizabeth Dowdeswell and other dignitaries to their 200th anniversary service on Sept. 18. St. John’s, located near the corner of York Mills Road and Yonge Street in north Toronto, is the oldest Anglican parish church in Toronto and York Region. It was founded in 1816. Others in attendance at the thanksgiving service were Archbishop Colin Johnson, Don Valley West MP Rob Oliphant and Ward 25 Councillor Jaye Robinson. The celebratory service was followed by a reception.

Author

Keep on reading

Skip to content