The diocese has made a gift of $656,538 to the Sisterhood of St. John the Divine to assist with the renovation of its Guest House, which is located at its convent in Toronto. Synod Council has approved the gift.
The gift is being made in the form of a tithe from the diocese’s Ministry Allocation Fund. Synod Council is allowed to make a tithe from time to time to support important and worthy initiatives and causes in the wider Church.
“The Sisterhood of St. John the Divine sends our most grateful thanks and appreciation for the wonderfully generous gift from the Diocese of Toronto to our Home for the Heart campaign in support of the renovation of our Guest House,” said the Sisters. “It is our hope to welcome many diocesan groups into an updated Guest House.”
The sisterhood’s fundraising campaign hopes to raise $6 million for the renovations, which will include replacing the roof and windows; installing new, more environmentally friendly heating and cooling systems; updating and in some cases reconstructing bedrooms, bathrooms and meeting rooms; and creating an accessible entrance.
The Guest House has hosted thousands of guests since it was built in 1956. Its rooms are often filled with people on individual retreats, group retreats and facilitated workshops, as well as members of parish, diocesan and national committees. The space is also open to family members of long-term patients at nearby St. John’s Rehab, hospital staff staying overnight during storms, refugee families and others who need temporary accommodation.